If you are in a rush, let’s skip to the punch line.
The best diet is the one you can stick to consistently that suits your lifestyle and supports your health.
But what is that? – The contenders
- The Paleo diet – or caveman diet – eat the way your ancestors did.
- The Ketogenic Diet – High Fat, stimulate ketones as energy source.
- Mediterranean – Mainly plant based.
- Low Carb – Atkins and others.
- High protein – Meat, shakes, fish.
- Vegetarian – No animal foods, includes animal products such as dairy.
- Vegan – No animal foods or products.
- Plant Based – Reduction of meat.
I have purposefully not got into the details of each. That has been done many times before you can read detailed pros’ and cons’ via Precision Nutrition (of which all our coaches are certified with) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UdmfrIaDw5H3qjENlWwz8tLjwSrQJqDl/view?usp=sharing
How to choose?
I get the confusion when it comes to diet, Paleo, Mediterranean, Keto, high protein, low carb , 0 fat, fasting… it’s all backed by a wealth of science and comes in and out of fashion so regularly adding more confusion rather than clarity – so how does one choose?
Let’s start at the beginning.
There is no one macro (portion of fats/carbs/protein) that fits everyone.
- African Masai eat a predominantly high fat and low veg diet.
- South Pacific Kitavans eat a high vegetable and starchy Carb diet.
- Tokelau near New Zealand eat traditional high fat diets.
The common theme here is all have low rates of diet induced illnesses such as heart attacks and obesity.
Physiologically, the body can cope in a wide range of circumstances.
Differences to consider
We are all different.
- Our heritage.
- Body type.
- Activity levels.
- Food Education.
- Life Demands.
So how can any person prescribe to you what is the best diet?
Principles to diet.
- Catch it, pick it, kill it can apply to 99% of the foods recommended across all diets.
- All diets force you to pay attention to what you are putting in your mouth/shopping trolly.
- Focusing on better quality food inadvertently reduces nutrient deficiencies, increase satisfaction and encourage greater fat loss, lean muscle and healthier living
- With a focus on quality, whole, minimally processed real food we full satisfied quicker and reduce our appetite for processed nutrient poor ‘rubbish’ in foil wrappers made of scientific ingredients.
- The process makes you feel rejuvenated which in turn promotes one to think about regular movement
Regardless of which camp you fall into, having your own personal philosophy to follow can make food choice simpler, more nutrient dense and support an all round healthy balanced lifestyle.
Want to follow a diet?
Want to be vegan, vegetarian, paleo, keto or simply balanced – we can help with that. Want low cost, simple, easy to follow – we can help with that.
We would love to sit down with you and listen to your needs, get to understand your lifestyle and what it is you wish to accomplish, get to know what is important to you and your specific goals.
If you would like a place to start, check out our guided two week FOOD course with one of our Habitual Coaches.
Two weeks to EAT better and feel great.
- Develop the habit of eating for a lifestyle not a diet.
- Learn AND apply the skills and tools needed to support you to eat better.
- Manage lifestyle and body composition by taking control of what you eat.
- Develop accountability with personal support from an Habitual coach
- 100% money back guarantee if no improvement in your eating habits from this course.
Habitual is a health coaching company working with private clients, schools, corporations and sports teams to develop sustainable habits for lasting health change. www.habitual.hk